Bulpett & Hall
Bulpett & Hall (1786-1892), established in Alresford, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in 1786 as Knapp & Co by Edward Knapp, a coal, corn and salt merchant. The firm was also known as Winchester Bank and later as Winchester, Alresford & Alton Bank. Branches were established in Winchester (1789; later the main office) and Alton (1835). In 1892, when known as Bulpett & Hall, the bank amalgamated with Prescott, Dimsdale, Cave, Tugwell & Co of London.
Detailed list of name changes
- Knapp & Co in 1786
- Edward Knapp, Son & Co by 1796
- Knapp, Knapp & Harley by 1812
- Knapp, Knapp & Markham by 1813
- Knapp, Bulpett & Markham by 1822
- Bulpett, Mulcock & Dunn by 1848
- Bulpett & Hall by 1887
Also known as Winchester Bank and as Winchester, Alresford & Alton Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Bulpett & Hall have the reference code BUL.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- cheque 1800s
- letter re lost cheque 1876
- banknote 1885
- amalgamation papers 1892-1893