County of Stafford Bank Ltd
County of Stafford Bank Ltd (1836-99), established in Bilston, was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.
This joint stock bank was opened in 1836 as Bilston District Banking Co. The bank moved to Wolverhampton in 1844. It issued its own notes until 1881. The bank assumed limited liability in 1873, taking the name County of Stafford Bank Ltd.
In 1899 the bank was wound up and its business sold to National Provincial Bank of England Ltd.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of County of Stafford Bank Ltd have the reference code CST.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- deed of settlement 1836
- directors' meeting minute books: 1836-1900, rough 1862-72
- proceedings of general meetings 1838-73
- share transfer forms 1863-5, 1877
- deed of assent to increase capital 1864
- share purchase receipts 1882
- bank rules and regulations c.1885
- amalgamation papers 1899
- balance sheets book and bad debt accounts book 1836-98
- bills of exchange 1841-56
- directors' legal correspondence 1841-6
- declaration re writ issue 1884
- memoranda re deposit of title deeds as security 1840-1, 1875
- customer papers 1840-53, 1873-97
- register of securities 1881-92
- staff surety bonds 1839, 1874
- release and conveyance 1848
Note issue records
- papers re note circulation returns 1844
- banker's licence 1856