Crompton & Evans' Union Bank Ltd
Crompton & Evans' Union Bank Ltd (1877-1914), established in Derby, was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.
This joint stock bank with limited liability was established in 1877 for the purpose of acquiring the existing sister-banks Crompton, Newton & Co of Derby and Crompton, Newton & Co of Chesterfield, as well as W & S Evans & Co of Derby. Branches were opened at Wirksworth and Mansfield in the first year of operation. The bank acquired the failed Chesterfield & North Derbyshire Banking Co in 1878; Wilson & Son of Alfreton in 1879; and James Taylor & Sons of Bakewell in 1879.
By 1914 the bank had 46 branches and sub-branches. Deposits grew from £1.187 million in 1878 to £5.61 million in 1913. In 1914 the bank was acquired by Parr's Bank.
Branches: At the time of its acquisition in 1914, the bank was operating 18 branches and 28 sub-branches.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Crompton & Evans' Union Bank Ltd have the reference code CEV.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- directors' personal papers 1874-1930
- prospectus 1877
- memorandum and articles of association 1877
- share allotment books 1877-96, letters 1877-8
- annual general meeting minute book 1877-1913
- chairmen's agenda books 1877-1913
- circular re merger with James Taylor & Son 1879
- annual reports 1882-1914
- manager's copy letterbook 1884-1917
- committee meeting minute book 1895-1914
- share certificate books 1899; 1913-4
- correspondence re share register audit 1901
- select committee minute book 1905-13
- seal register 1905-17
- directors' meeting minute books 1905-18
- papers re investments and overdrafts 1906-13
- rough minute book 1908-13
- amalgamation papers 1913-4
- customer securities books 1861-(1915)
- cheques and cheque forms 1888-1900
- credit slip c.1912
- debit slip 1910s
Head office branch records
- branch half-yearly returns 1879-1913
- instruction books 1879-1914
- clerkship applications register 1891-1913
- salary books 1897-1913
- papers re staff 1900-17
- papers re branch premises 1877-1913
- rent account book 1904-32
- branch architectural drawings c.1909
- presscuttings re J G Crompton, director 1877-1914
- selected records