Croxon, Jones & Co (Old Bank) Ltd
Croxon, Jones & Co (Old Bank) Ltd (1792-1894), established in Oswestry, was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.
This private bank was established in 1792 as Gibbons & Coit and was also known as Oswestry Old Bank. In 1893 the business was converted into a joint stock bank with limited liability as Croxon, Jones & Co (Old Bank) Ltd, with a paid-up capital of £35,000. In 1894 the bank was acquired by Parr's Banking Co & Alliance Bank Ltd of Warrington.
Detailed list of name changes
- Gibbons & Coit from 1792
- Croon & Sheppard by 1812
- Croxon & Co by 1814
- Croxon, Longueville, Jones, Croxon & Gibbons by 1829
- Croxon, Longueville & Co by 1834
- Swete, Roberts & Longueville by 1887
- Croxon, Jones & Co in 1893
- S A Davis, The early banks of mid Wales (Welshpool: 1935)
- T E Gregory, The Westminster Bank through a century (London: Oxford University Press, 1936)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Croxon, Jones & Co have the reference code CRO.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- cheque form 1810s
- banknote 1837
- notice re partnership change 1875
- balance sheet 1893
- staff photograph c.1890s
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Shropshire Archives: Partnership agreements 1812-47 (Ref: 800/Box 69D)