RBS Heritage Hub
- Our history: an introduction
- Use our archives
- Issuing banknotes
- Current issue notes
- European Summit, 1992
- Robert Louis Stevenson, 1994
- Alexander Graham Bell, 1997
- Scottish Parliament, 1999
- The Queen Mother, 2000
- Queen Elizabeth II, 2002
- Royal and Ancient Golf Club, 2004
- Royal College of Surgeons, 2005
- Jack Nicklaus, 2005
- RBS Gogarburn, 2005
- The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 2012
- The Ryder Cup, 2014
- Historic notes
- Reproducing banknotes
- RBS history in 100 objects
Derby & Derbyshire Banking Co Ltd
Derby & Derbyshire Banking Co Ltd (1833-98) was a past constituent of NatWest.
This joint stock bank was established in Derby in 1833 and opened for business in 1834. By 1837 its paid-up capital was £41,000 and it had opened its first branch office, at Belper. The bank assumed limited liability in 1880, becoming Derby & Derbyshire Banking Co Ltd.
In 1898, when the bank was acquired by Parr's Bank, it had branches at Belper, Crick, Driffield, Litchurch, Long Eaton, Matlock Bath, Matlock Bridge and Melbourne. By then paid-up capital was £78,000 and deposits were £750,000.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Derby & Derbyshire Banking Co Ltd have the reference code DER.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- provisional committee proceedings 1833
- deed of settlement 1833
- grant of arms 1854
- photograph, Melbourne branch c.1880
- amalgamation papers 1898-9
- banknotes n.d.
- cheque forms n.d.