Drewett, Fowler & Fowler

Drewett, Fowler & Fowler (1797-1852), established in London, was a past constituent of NatWest.

Brief history

This private bank was established in Old Broad Street, London, in 1797 as Joseph Smith & Co. It was known as Smith & Holt by 1818; William Holt & Co by 1819; Drewett & Fowler by 1823; and Drewett, Fowler & Fowler from 1850. The bank moved to Princes Street in 1837.

In 1850 the bank was acquired by Barnard, Barnard & Dimsdale, which then became Dimsdale, Drewett, Fowler & Barnard.

Published histories

  • FG Hilton Price, A handbook of London Bankers (London: Chatto & Windus, 1890)

Summary of our archive holdings

Our archival records of Drewett, Fowler & Fowler have the reference code DRE.

For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).

  • customer account ledger 1823-6
  • cheques 1826-47
  • draft circular re amalgamation 1837
  • rates and tax payment receipts 1845-51
  • partners' correspondence 1847-51