RBS Heritage Hub
- Our history: an introduction
- Use our archives
- Issuing banknotes
- Current issue notes
- European Summit, 1992
- Robert Louis Stevenson, 1994
- Alexander Graham Bell, 1997
- Scottish Parliament, 1999
- The Queen Mother, 2000
- Queen Elizabeth II, 2002
- Royal and Ancient Golf Club, 2004
- Royal College of Surgeons, 2005
- Jack Nicklaus, 2005
- RBS Gogarburn, 2005
- The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 2012
- The Ryder Cup, 2014
- Historic notes
- Reproducing banknotes
- RBS history in 100 objects
Dundee Commercial Banking Co
Dundee Commercial Banking Co (1792-1802) was a past constituent of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
This private bank was formed in Dundee in 1792 as a co-partnership, trading as Dundee Commercial Banking Co, by former customers and partners of Dundee Banking Co of Dundee. It had ten partners, including John Baxter and James Scott, and a nominal capital of £10,000 divided into ten shares of which £3,500 was paid up. From the outset it accepted deposits and issued notes (£26,000 was in circulation by 1793), appointing agents in four towns, including Sir William Forbes, James Hunter & Co, bankers of Edinburgh, to develop the circulation. By 1802 death and withdrawal had depleted the number of partners to four and the bank was reformed as Dundee New Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Dundee Commercial Banking Co have the reference code DC.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- co-partnership agreements 1791