F W Jennings

F W Jennings (1855-78), established in Leek, was a past constituent of NatWest.

Brief history

This private bank was established in Stockwell Street, Leek, in 1855 by Francis William Jennings, a silk broker who began discounting bills. It traded from premises near the corner of Cruso's yard, Stockwell Street, and was also known as Leek Bank. After more than 20 years trading, Jennings decided in 1877 to retire. His bank was acquired by Parr’s Banking Co in 1878.

Published history

  • TJ Smith, Banks and bankers of Leek 1818-91 (Leek: privately published, 1891)

Summary of our archive holdings

Our archival records of F W Jennings have the reference code JEN.

  • premises photograph n.d.
  • amalgamation papers 1877-8