Fryer, Andrews & Co

Fryer, Andrews & Co (c.1790-1840), established in Wimborne, was a past constituent of NatWest.

Brief history

This private bank was established in c.1790 as Fryer, Andrews, Woolfry & Co by John Fryer, John Andrews and William Woolfry. A 1797 list of country bankers lists Fryer & Co as bankers at both 'Winbourn and Poole'. It was also known as Wimborne, Poole & Blandford Bank and Dorset Bank. By 1840 it had branches at Poole, Ringwood, Blandford, Wareham and Sturminster Newton. It was acquired by National Provincial Bank of England in 1840.

Branches: In 1840 5 branches were operating.

Detailed list of name changes

  • Fryer, Andrews, Woolfry & Co in c.1790
  • Fryer & Co in 1797
  • Fryer, Andrews & Lacey by 1806
  • Fryer, Andrews, Lacey & Clapcott by 1811
  • Fryer, Andrews & Clapcott in 1812
  • Fryer, Andrews & Co from 1813

Also known as Wimborne, Poole & Blandford Bank and Dorset Bank.

Summary of our archive holdings

Our archival records of Fryer, Andrews & Co have the reference code FRY.

For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).

  • banknotes: n.d., 1811, part 1811-7
  • circulars re amalgamation 1841

Summary of archive holdings elsewhere

  • Dorset History Centre: Agreement re assignment of business to National Provincial Bank with list of customers 1841 (Ref: D1/JT1)