Halford, Baldock & Co
Halford, Baldcock & Co (1790-1841), established in Canterbury, was a bank connected with the history of NatWest.
This private bank was established in 1790 as Baker, Denne, Kingsford, Wigzell & Kingsford by John Baker, John Denne, Sampson Kingsford, (forename unknown) Wigzell and William Kingsford. By 1796 the firm had merged with Baldock, Rigden, Halford & Pierce, and was thereafter also known as Canterbury Union Bank. In 1841, when styled Halford, Baldock & Co, the bank failed and on liabilities of £120,000 paid 10s in the pound. London & County Banking Co opened a new branch in Canterbury shortly after the failure.
Detailed list of name changes
- Baker, Denne, Kingsford, Wigzell & Kingsford in 1790
- John Baker, John Denne, Sampson Kingsford, William Kingsford & Richard
- Halford senior & Richard Halford junior until 1802
- John Baker & Richard Halford senior & junior by 1812
- Baker, Kingsford & Halford by 1815
- Halford, Baldock & Co by 1822
Also known as The Union Bank or Canterbury Union Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Halford, Baldock & Co have the reference code HAB.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- cheque form 1830s
- letter to London agent re payment suspension 1841
- banknotes 1840-1