RBS Heritage Hub
- Our history: an introduction
- Use our archives
- Issuing banknotes
- Current issue notes
- European Summit, 1992
- Robert Louis Stevenson, 1994
- Alexander Graham Bell, 1997
- Scottish Parliament, 1999
- The Queen Mother, 2000
- Queen Elizabeth II, 2002
- Royal and Ancient Golf Club, 2004
- Royal College of Surgeons, 2005
- Jack Nicklaus, 2005
- RBS Gogarburn, 2005
- The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 2012
- The Ryder Cup, 2014
- Historic notes
- Reproducing banknotes
- RBS history in 100 objects
Hartleys & Co
Hartleys & Co (1786-1837), established in Whitehaven, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in 1786 as Hartley, Littledale, Hartley & Potter. The partners were brothers John and Thomas Hartley, merchants; Samuel Potter, a draper; and Henry Littledale. It was also known as Whitehaven Bank. In 1837, when known as Hartleys & Co, the bank was converted into a joint stock bank, Bank of Whitehaven.
Detailed list of name changes
- Hartley, Littledale, Hartley & Potter in 1786
- Hartley, Littledale & Co by 1796
- Hartleys, Potter & Co by 1810
- Hartley, Hartley, Harrison & Hartley by 1829
- Hartley, Hartley & Harrison in 1834
- Hartleys & Co in 1837
Also known as Whitehaven Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Hartleys & Co have the reference code HAR.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- banknotes n.d., 1825, 1834
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Cumbria Record Office: Banknote register 1803-13 (Ref: Allison MSS)