Henry Whitmash & William Lambert White

The banking firm of Henry Whitmash & William Lambert White (c.1796-1835), established in Wincanton and later based in Yeovil, was a past constituent of NatWest.

Brief history

This private bank was established as Henry Whitmash & Richard Brown in Wincanton in about 1796. It was known as Whitmash & Co by 1805, Whitmash & White by 1811 and Henry Whitmash & William Lambert White by 1813.

In 1808 the bank opened a branch in Yeovil and from then it was also known as Yeovil & Wincanton Bank. The Wincanton business may possibly have closed in 1818. In 1835 the bank was acquired by Stuckey’s Banking Co, but the trading name was retained until 1837.

Published history

  • PT Saunders, Stuckey’s Bank (Taunton: Barnicott & Pearce, 1928)