J, J & G Alcock & Co

J, J & G Alcock & Co (1830-1865), established in Burslem, was a past constituent of NatWest.

Brief history

This private bank was established as S & J Alcock & Co in 1830 by S Alcock and Joseph Alcock, solicitor. It was known as J, J & G Alcock by 1846 and also known as Burslem Commercial Bank. The bank was acquired by Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co in 1865.

Summary of our archive holdings

Our archival records of J, J & G Alcock & Co have the reference code ALC.

For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).

  • banknote c.1850s
  • customer account passbook 1856-61
  • letter from Bank of England 1865