Knaresborough & Claro Banking Co Ltd
Knaresborough & Claro Banking Co Ltd (1831-1903), established in Knaresborough, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This joint stock bank was established in Knaresborough in 1831 with a capital of £200,000. By 1845 the bank had branches at Ripon and Easingwold. By 1858 there were branches at Ripon, Wetherby and Boro’bridge and agencies at Harrogate, Pateley Bridge and Masham. The bank assumed limited liability in 1881, thus becoming Knaresborough & Claro Banking Co Ltd.
In 1889 the bank moved its head office to Harrogate, a town which by then had a population six times that of Knaresborough. In 1903 the bank was acquired National Provincial Bank of England.
Branches: at the time of its acquisition in 1903, the bank was operating 3 branches and 3 agencies.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Knareseborough & Claro Banking Co Ltd have the reference code KNA.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- deed of settlement 1831
- banknote registers 1831-1918
- banker's licences 1851-87
- certificate of incorporation 1881
- resolutions re capital increase 1881
- banknotes 1893-1902
- credit slip c.1900
- cheque form n.d.
- premises schedule c.1901
- amalgamation papers 1903, 1910