Ladbroke & Co
Ladbroke & Co (1771-1841), established in the City of London, was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland.
The private bank of Ladbroke & Son, Rawlinson & Porker was established in 1771 at 10 Lombard Street, City of London, at the sign of the Phoenix. Sir Robert Ladbroke was a distiller who had been in business in Knightrider Street since 1740. Both Sir Robert and his partner Walter Rawlinson, who had married Sir Robert’s sister, were active in public life.
By 1774 the bank moved to 73 Bank Buildings, Cornhill, City of London. In 1827 the firm’s name changed to Ladbroke, Kingscote & Gillman and it continued to trade until 1841 when Felix Ladbroke decided to retire. The bank's customers were given the option of withdrawing their deposits or transferring them to Glyn, Hallifax, Mills & Co; 290 accounts were transferred. Robert Ladbroke and Henry Kingscote continued to receive a proportion of the interest received on the transferred debts.
Summary of archive holdings
Our archival records of Ladbroke & Co have the reference code LA.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- customer balance books 1841-5
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Surrey History Centre: Sir Robert Ladbroke, copy will, probate and administration 1773-6 (Ref: 6154/127, 143, 141); miscellaneous bonds and papers re banking c.1792-1827; agreements with clerks 1799-1841 (Ref: 6632); deeds re bank’s mortgages and financial arrangements 1805-42 (Ref: 6154/121); inspector’s report re winding-up of company 1842 (Ref: 6154/132); Glyn, Mills & Co passbook re Ladbroke & Co’s trust account 1848-58 (Ref: 6154/111)
- Bank of England Archive: Freshfields’ papers re Bank of England loan of £170,000 to Ladbroke, Kingscote & Co 1841-4 (Ref: F11/102)