RBS Heritage Hub
- Our history: an introduction
- Use our archives
- Issuing banknotes
- Current issue notes
- European Summit, 1992
- Robert Louis Stevenson, 1994
- Alexander Graham Bell, 1997
- Scottish Parliament, 1999
- The Queen Mother, 2000
- Queen Elizabeth II, 2002
- Royal and Ancient Golf Club, 2004
- Royal College of Surgeons, 2005
- Jack Nicklaus, 2005
- RBS Gogarburn, 2005
- The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 2012
- The Ryder Cup, 2014
- Historic notes
- Reproducing banknotes
- RBS history in 100 objects
Ley & Co
Ley & Co (1790-1843), established in Bideford, was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.
This private bank was established in 1790 as Cutcliffe, Ley, Glubb, Willcock. Its founders were Charles Cutcliffe, a Barnstaple banker; James Ley, a merchant; John Glubb, an attorney; and Stephen Willcock, a merchant. It was styled Cutliffe & Co, Willcock, Ley in 1797 and Ley & Co from 1810, following Cutcliffe’s retirement; it was also known as Bideford Old Bank. The bank was acquired by National Provincial Bank of England in 1843.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Ley & Co have the reference code LEY.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- circular re amalgamation with National Provincial Bank of England 1844