Nevile Reid & Co

Nevile Reid & Co (1780-1914), established in Windsor, was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.

Brief history

This private bank was established in 1780 as Ramsbottom & Baverstock; it was otherwise known as the Windsor Bank. It traded as Nevile Reid & Co from 1838, when it was owned by the partners in the London bank of Williams, Deacon, Labouchere & Co who also owned a brewery in Windsor trading under the same name. A branch was opened in Datchet. The bank was acquired by Barclay & Co Ltd (est. 1896), bankers of London, in 1914.

Published histories

  • PW Matthews and AW Tuke, History of Barclays Bank Ltd (London: Blades, East & Blades, 1926)

Summary of our archive holdings

Our archival records of Nevile Reid & Co have the reference code WC/8.

For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).

  • accounts, correspondence and notes 1870-88

Summary of archive holdings elsewhere

  • Barclays Group Archives: Securities registers 1905-14; cheques, Datchet 1909-12.
  • Berkshire Record Office: Ledger, account with Williams, Deacon & Co 1838-41; journal 1844-64; private ledgers 1844-62 (Ref: D/ECg B1, 8, 9)