Robarts, Lubbock & Co
Robarts, Lubbock & Co (1772-1914), established in London, was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.
This private bank was established in 1860 through the merger of Lubbock, Forster & Co (est. 1772) and Robarts, Curtis & Co (est. 1791). It was the last private bank to have a seat in the London Clearing House. In 1914, a year after the death of its senior partner Sir John Lubbock, later 1st Lord Avebury, one of the City's most influential bankers, the firm merged with Coutts & Co of London. It then had reserves of £500,000 and customer balances of well over £4 million.
- W Howarth, The banks in the Clearing House (London, 1907)
- E Healey, Coutts & Co 1692-1992. The portrait of a private bank (London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1992)
- W G Hutchinson, Life of Sir John Lubbock, Lord Avebury, (London, 1911)
- P E Smart, 'A Victorian polymath. Sir John Lubbock', Journal of the Institute of Bankers, 100 (1979)
Summary of our archive holdings
For more information about these records, or to enquire about using them for research, please contact the Coutts Archivist: Tracey.Earl@Coutts.com.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (24KB).
- signature books 1860-1914
- registers of wills and probates 1860-1914
- letterbooks 1850-
- staff books 1863-
- builders' drawings 1861
- cheques and miscellaneous papers
- amalgamation papers n.d.