S & G Stuckey & Co
S & G Stuckey & Co (c.1772-1826) was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in Langport in about 1772 by Samuel George Stuckey, as an adjunct to a merchanting business involved in shipping, textiles, drapery, timber and salt. By 1796 Stuckey had taken his son, George, into partnership in the banking business and both are named in an 1804 ‘List of country bankers’. The business flourished in the 1790s and 1800s due to the disruption in trade caused by the Napoleonic Wars, which increased the volume of goods being transported via inland waterways.
In 1806 the Stuckeys adopted a separate identity for their banking business - S & G Stuckey & Co, also known as Langport Bank. The firm’s partners were Samuel Stuckey, George Stuckey, James Lean, John Hart and John Maningford. In 1807 George Stuckey’s son, Vincent Stuckey, formerly of the Treasury and a private secretary to William Pitt, joined the banking business and took a leading role after his father’s death later that year and the death of Samuel Stuckey in 1812. The Stuckey family also established Stuckey, Lean, Hart & Co of Bristol in 1806 and Stuckeys & Woodlands of Bridgwater in c.1790. An agency was opened at Ilminster by 1822.
In 1826 the Stuckeys amalgamated their business interests in Langport, Bristol and Bridgwater to form a single joint stock bank: Stuckey’s Banking Co. It was not until 1828, however, that the various banks' names were discontinued and the business carried on as Stuckey's Banking Co.
- TE Gregory, The Westminster Bank through a Century (London: privately published by Westminster Bank, 1936)
- PT Saunders, Stuckey’s Bank (Taunton: Barnicott & Pearce, 1928)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of S & G Stuckey & Co have the reference code SGS.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- letterbook 1778-1809
- cheque book 1819-1822
- cheque forms 1820s
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Somerset Archives and Local Studies: Papers re bank construction 1823 (Ref: DD/FS Bx3)