Stockton & Durham County Bank

Stockton & Durham County Bank (1838-1846) was a past constituent of NatWest.

Brief history

This joint stock bank was established in Stockton in 1838 with a capital of £150,000. A branch was opened in Guisborough by 1845. The bank failed in 1846, when 25% of the paid-up capital had been lost, and was acquired by National Provincial Bank of England. The company was dissolved in 1853 when its affairs were finally settled.

Branches: In 1846 one branch was operating.

Summary of our holdings

Our archival records of Stockton & Durham County Bank have the reference code STO.

For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).

  • prospectus 1838
  • directors’ meeting minute book 1838-1853
  • general meeting minute book 1838-1853
  • deed of settlement 1839