Stuckeys & Woodlands

Stuckeys & Woodlands (c.1804-1826), established in Bridgwater, was a past constituent of NatWest.

Brief history

This private bank was established in Bridgwater by 1804 as Woodland & Co by John, Richard and William Woodland, local maltsters. In 1806 the business was renamed Stuckeys & Woodlands when Samuel and Vincent Stuckey, partners in S & G Stuckey & Co of Langport, joined the firm. It was also known as Bridgwater & Somersetshire Bank. Woodland & Co had previously been agents for Stuckey & Co in Bridgwater. Agencies were established at Taunton and Wells.

In 1826 the bank merged with the Stuckey family's other banking businesses - S & G Stuckey & Co and Stuckey, Lean & Co of Bristol - and the acquired Ricketts, Thorne & Courtney of Bristol to form the joint stock bank Stuckey's Banking Co. It was not until 1828, however, that the various titles used at Bridgwater, Bristol and Langport were discontinued and the business carried on as Stuckey's Banking Co.

Published history

  • PT Saunders, Stuckey’s Bank (Taunton: Barnicott & Pearce, 1928)

Summary of our archive holdings

Our archival records of Stuckeys & Woodlands have the reference code STW.

  • banknote 1815