Swann, Clough & Co

Swann, Clough & Co (1771-1879), established in York, was a past constituent of NatWest.

Brief history

This private bank was established in Stonegate, York, in 1771 as Garforth & Co; it was also known as York Bank. By 1780 the partners were Garforth, John Raper, John Clough and Thomas Swann and it was known as Garforth, Raper, Clough & Swann. The firm moved to Spurriergate in about 1782. The bank was named Garforth, Raper, Swann, Clough & Swann by 1796; Raper & Co by 1800; Raper, Swann, Clough, Swan, Bland & Raper from 1820; and Swann, Clough & Co from 1824. In 1879 the bank got into difficulties and was acquired by Beckett & Co of Leeds.

Summary of our archive holdings

Our archival records of Swann, Clough & Co have the reference code SWA.

For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).

  • promissory note 1780
  • journal of John Swann, wine and cloth merchant 1798
  • cheques and cheque forms 1813, 1850s
  • banknotes 1873-1874
  • liquidation report and balance sheet 1881
  • watermarked banknote paper n.d.