Thomas Woodcock, Sons & Eckersley
Thomas Woodcock, Sons & Eckersley (1792-1874), established in Wigan, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established as Thicknesse & Woodcock in 1792, by Ralph Thicknesse and Thomas Woodcock; it was also known as Wigan Old Bank. Thicknesse retired in about 1829, whereupon Woodcock admitted his son to the partnership, which traded thereafter as Thomas Woodcock & Son.
By 1846 the firm was known as Thomas, John & Henry Woodcock. In 1850 Thomas Woodcock died and his two sons continued the business. In 1860 Nathaniel Eckersley became a partner and the firm was restyled Thomas Woodcock, Sons & Eckersley. The bank was acquired by Parr’s Banking Co in 1874.
- TE Gregory, The Westminster Bank Through a Century (London: privately published by Westminster Bank, 1936)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Thomas Woodcock, Sons & Eckersley have the reference code WOO.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- general customer account ledger 1792-1798
- circular re amalgamation 1874
- cheque form 1870s