Tufnell, Falkner & Co
Tuflnell, Falkner & Co (c.1775-1841) was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in Bath by 1775 as Atwood, Abrahams, Collett, Salmon & Harris. Atwood was a surgeon; William Abrahams a clothier; Isaac Collett a wine merchant; John Salmon an insurance agent; and William Harris an ironmonger. It was called Tufnell, Stroud, Collett, Payne & Hope from 1810; Tufnell, Falkner & Falkner from 1812; and later Tufnell, Collett, Payne & Hope. It was also known as Bladud Bank.
In 1825 the firm of Tufnell, Collett, Payne & Hope was dissolved and restyled Tufnell, Collett & Co, separating it from Payne & Hope, Wells Bank (est. 1800; failed 1831), previously run by the same partners. The bank opened a branch in Chippenham in the 1830s and was subsequently known as Tufnell, Falkner & Co. The partners were Richard Falkner and Francis Henry Falkner when the bank was acquired by Stuckey’s Banking Co of Langport in 1841.
- A Jones, 'The Banks of Bath', Notes and Queries, 203, 1958
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Tufnell, Falkner & Co have the reference code TUF.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- private ledger 1825-1834
- private account book incl. balance sheets 1826-1841
- cash books 1826-1844
- notes re nature and extent of business 1838
- amalgamation papers 1838-1843
- banker’s draft 1814
- deposit receipts 1816
- bills of exchange 1821, 1838
- papers re customer accounts 1827-1841
- list of bad and doubtful debts 1834
- securities, railway company share certificates 1836
- safe custody receipt 1836
- cheque form c.1840
- list of accounts 1841
- furniture and fittings valuation 1841
- invoice for gas supply 1841
Note issue records
- banknotes 1825-1839
- drafts and notes circulation book 1834-1843
- indemnities re mutilated notes 1836-1841
- papers re note circulation 1841-1843
- outstanding drafts and notes list 1842
- outstanding notes book 1843
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Somerset Archives and Local Studies: partnership agreements 1812-25 (Ref: DD/WM 435, 438-441)