U, G & H Messiter

U, G & H Messiter (c.1800-44), established in Wincanton, was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.

Brief history

This private bank was established as Messiter & Payne by 1800; it was also known as Wincanton Bank. It was called R & U Messiter by 1802; Messiter, Payne & Hope in 1807; R, U & G Messiter by 1810; and U & G Messiter by 1829, when the partners were Uriah and George Messiter. In 1844, when known as U G & H Messiter, it was acquired by Stuckey's Banking Co of Langport.

Published history

  • PT Saunders, Stuckey’s Bank (Taunton: Barnicott & Pearce, 1928)

Summary of our archive holdings

Our archival records of U, G & H Messiter have the reference code MES.

For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).

  • deposit receipt 1842