RBS Heritage Hub
- Our history: an introduction
- Use our archives
- Issuing banknotes
- Current issue notes
- European Summit, 1992
- Robert Louis Stevenson, 1994
- Alexander Graham Bell, 1997
- Scottish Parliament, 1999
- The Queen Mother, 2000
- Queen Elizabeth II, 2002
- Royal and Ancient Golf Club, 2004
- Royal College of Surgeons, 2005
- Jack Nicklaus, 2005
- RBS Gogarburn, 2005
- The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 2012
- The Ryder Cup, 2014
- Historic notes
- Reproducing banknotes
- RBS history in 100 objects
W & S Evans & Co
W & S Evans & Co (1771-1887), established in Derby, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in 1771 as Thomas Evans; it was also known as Derby Bank. By 1780 Thomas Evans' sons, William and Walter, had joined the partnership, which became Thomas Evans & Sons.
The bank was subsequently known as Evans & Co by 1800; Walter, William & Samuel Evans by 1829; W & S Evans by 1846; and W & S Evans & Co by 1877.
In 1877, when the partners were Walter Evans, John Evans and Henry Evans, cotton spinners and paper makers, the bank merged with Crompton, Newton & Co of Derby and Crompton, Newton & Co of Chesterfield to form Crompton & Evans' Union Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of W & S Evans & Co have the reference code EVA.
- cheque book and cheque form 1857