1950-1980

Our-Story-1950-1980.jpg

An early Royal Bank cash dispenser in use, 1971

In the late 1950s and 1960s new services were introduced, including mobile and drive-in banks. The Royal Bank of Scotland launched personal loans, savings stamps and an early form of cash machine. It also established its first direct presence overseas; a representative office in New York, opened in 1960.

In 1969 The Royal Bank of Scotland merged with National Commercial Bank of Scotland. A new holding company was created to manage the merged company's numerous bank brands, and in 1970 the brands trading in England and Wales were united to form Williams & Glyn's Bank. One of the most visible outcomes of the reorganisation was the introduction of the daisy wheel brand which remains central to the RBS corporate identity today.

Meanwhile, change was also afoot among the English banks. In 1970, three of the best-known names – Westminster Bank, National Provincial Bank and its subsidiary District Bank – merged to create National Westminster Bank. Coincidentally it, too, introduced a new brand mark based on an arrow motif.

In 1972 The Royal Bank of Scotland became the first British clearing bank to offer a house purchase loan scheme to customers. A year later, it was the first Scottish bank to have all its branches linked online to a head office computer. South of the border, Williams & Glyn's Bank launched innovative new savings products and introducing free banking for personal customers whose accounts were in credit.