Barnstaple is a town in Devon, England. National Westminster Bank traces its heritage there back to 1807.
Our first presence in Barnstaple
NatWest's Barnstaple branch originally opened as the local private bank Bury, Nott, Pyke, Scott, Law & Tardrew, founded in Barnstaple in 1807. This bank, also known as North Devon Bank, was the second to open in Barnstaple, and one of many established throughout the country around this time by local merchants and manufacturers.
In 1836, by which time it was known as Pyke, Scott & Co, the bank was acquired by National Provincial Bank of England, founded three years earlier. From the start National Provincial had pursued a vigorous branch opening policy and the bank's directors had been quick to observe that Barnstaple was ‘considered the metropolis of North Devon’.
In 1839 the bank purchased premises at High Cross, on the corner of High Street and Cross Street, which were rebuilt in imposing style. In 1880, after acquiring adjacent premises, the branch was extended, doubling its High Street frontage. Further internal alterations were made just after the First World War.
41 High Street
In 1962 National Provincial Bank opened an additional branch in Barnstaple, in Newport Road. The continued growth of the High Cross business required larger accommodation and in 1968 the branch moved to purpose-built premises, with parking to the rear, at 41 High Street.
National Westminster Bank
In 1970 National Provincial Bank merged with Westminster Bank to form National Westminster Bank. This new bank now had three branches in Barnstaple, because in addition to the two National Provincial branches, there was a former Westminster Bank branch in Boutport Street, originally opened in 1929. In 1973, the businesses of the branches in Boutport Street and High Street were brought together under one roof at 41 High Street.
In 1995 the business of the Newport Road office was also transferred to the High Street premises, which by that time had been remodelled externally.