Chesterfield is a town in England. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1808.
Crompton, Newton, Waller & Co
NatWest's Chesterfield branch originally opened in 1808 as the independent banking firm of Crompton, Newton, Waller & Co, which was founded in Chesterfield at the instigation of the partners of the long-established Derby Old Bank. Known as Scarsdale & High Peak Bank, the new firm began trading on 30 June 1808, initially from premises at the south-west corner of the Shambles. At this time Chesterfield was a thriving market town with a population of over 7,300. Linked to the River Trent by canal, it was home to a variety of industries, with coal and lead mines and iron foundries nearby.
Crompton & Evans’ Union Bank
Chesterfield’s further growth, encouraged by the arrival of the railway in 1841, meant that Scarsdale & High Peak Bank was never short of business. By the early 1840s the bank had moved to the present branch site in Market Place, where a new market hall was built in 1857. The bank amalgamated in 1877 with Derby Old Bank and another Derby bank to form Crompton & Evans’ Union Bank, which the following year acquired the business of local rival Chesterfield & North Derbyshire Bank.
Chesterfield continued to prosper. In order to accommodate its growing business in the town, Crompton & Evans’ built new premises in 1894 on the site of the existing branch and that of the adjacent Star Hotel.
In 1914 Crompton & Evans’ was acquired by Parr’s Bank. Four years later this bank was itself taken over by what became Westminster Bank, one of Britain’s ‘big five’ high street banks. In 1923 Chesterfield branch's premises were extended further, onto the site of the Angel Hotel.
In the late 1960s the Victorian branch premises were demolished and a striking modern four-storey building was erected in their place, incorporating ground floor shops and a first-floor banking hall.
National Westminster Bank
In 1970 Westminster Bank merged with National Provincial Bank to form National Westminster Bank. The new bank had two Chesterfield branches, because National Provincial had also traded in the town, in a branch originally opened in 1861 by Sheffield Banking Co. That branch had first been based in the market hall but had traded from New Square since the 1870s.
In 1978 the two branches were brought together under one roof in the Market Place premises.