Conwy is a town in Wales. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1856.
National Provincial Bank of England
NatWest's Conwy branch first opened as a branch of National Provincial Bank of England in February 1856. Originally opened as a sub-branch to the bank's Bangor office, it traded from rented premises on Castle Street, opposite where the branch stands today. Business flourished from the outset, and Conwy was raised to full-branch status in 1864.
The branch soon outgrew its original accommodation, and in 1866 a new site was acquired at 24 Castle Street. An impressive banking office, which still houses the branch now, was completed a year later at a cost of £1,300. Sub-branches later opened at Colwyn Bay and Penmaenmawr.
During the First World War the departure of skilled workers to join the armed forces led to staff shortages throughout the bank. One member of staff from Conwy branch was killed on active service in France.
Similar problems were faced again in the Second World War, but after the return to peace National Provincial Bank continued to prosper.