Dartmouth is a town in England. The Royal Bank of Scotland Group traces its heritage there back to 1806.
Our first presence in Dartmouth
The Harris family were ship owners and linen merchants. In 1806, they bought out the business of the town’s oldest bank, Dartmouth Bank, which had been founded around 1795. They operated their banking business from their existing premises on the corner of New Quay and St Saviour’s Street (later Duke Street), opposite where the branch stands today.
In 1815 the family moved their bank to 9 Duke Street, the site of the eighteenth century Playhouse. In 1839 they sold the business to National Provincial Bank of England. For 30 years during the middle of the century National Provincial was the only bank in Dartmouth.
Into the twentieth century
During the First World War the banking hall was enlarged, during which work the branch relocated temporarily to Parade House (a former office of the recently failed Naval Bank of Plymouth) on the corner of Duke Street and Mayor’s Avenue.
During the Second World War Dartmouth suffered air raids. Parade House, owned by the bank, sustained severe damage, and the branch itself experienced a near miss when the building opposite was hit by a bomb.
National Westminster Bank
By the mid 1970s Dartmouth branch's premises had become too cramped, and the growing business moved to a new purpose-built home on the site of Parade House. These new premises opened on 29 May 1979.