Denton is a town in England. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1866.
Manchester & County Bank
Manchester & County Bank was established as a joint-stock bank - that is, a bank owned by a large number of shareholders rather than just a few partners - in 1862. It quickly started opening branches across the Manchester region. Denton, with its established hatting and coal mining industries, was exactly the type of community where the bank was keen to be represented.
The bank's new Denton office first opened on 2 May 1866. It initially traded only on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but from December 1871 it started opening daily.
Growth and change
The coming of the railway in October 1882 encouraged further growth in the area. In 1894 the town's boundaries were extended to include Haughton, and the enlarged parish became Denton Urban District. The bank branch continued to thrive and by the early 1920s it was clear that it had outgrown its premises. Plans were made for a new purpose-built branch on the existing corner site at 15 Manchester Road. The new building was completed in 1922, and has remained the branch's home ever since.
In 1935 Manchester & County Bank was acquired by District Bank, which itself had a long history in Denton, having opened a branch there (under its original name of Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co) in 1867. In 1937 the two Denton branches were brought together under one roof in the premises at 15 Manchester Road.
National Westminster Bank
In 1962 District Bank was bought by one of Britain’s biggest banks, National Provincial Bank, but the two banks continued to trade separately until 1970, when they both merged with Westminster Bank to become National Westminster Bank.