Gerrards Cross

Gerrards Cross is a town in England. The Royal Bank of Scotland Group traces its heritage there back to 1906.

London & County Banking Co

NatWest's Gerrards Cross branch first opened in 1906 as a sub-branch of London & County Banking Co. Gerrards Cross itself had only formally come into existence in 1859, created from parts of five adjoining parishes, and for a further half century it remained little more than a collection of farmhouses and cottages. The arrival of the railway opened up the district, however, with the first train travelling from Marylebone to Gerrards Cross in April 1906.

London & County Banking Co’s attention was drawn to Gerrards Cross by Mr Lanaway, manager of the nearby Uxbridge office, who already managed 61 accounts for Gerrards Cross customers, and thought this more than justified the opening of a sub-branch to the Uxbridge office there. The bank agreed. Premises were rented and the new sub-branch opened on 21 February 1906, initially for just two mornings a week.

Packhorse Road

The branch flourished, and between 1907 and 1912 the bank gradually acquired a large site on Packhorse Road, with a view to purpose-building a new home for the branch. Meanwhile, in 1909 London & County Bank merged with London & Westminster Bank to create the much larger London County & Westminster Bank. Gerrards Cross branch's fine new premises were completed four years later. The branch remains there today.

During the First World War one member of staff from Gerrards Cross branch was killed while serving in the army.

Westminster Bank

In 1918 London County & Westminster Bank amalgamated with Parr's Bank. The merged bank's unwieldy name London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank lasted until 1923, after which it was simplified to Westminster Bank.

National Westminster Bank

In 1970 Westminster Bank merged with National Provincial Bank to form National Westminster Bank. The new bank now had two branches in Gerrards Cross, because since 1927 National Provincial had also had a Gerrards Cross branch, also on Packhorse Road. In 1972 the two branches were brought together under one roof at 44 Packhorse Road.