Glossop is a town in England. The Royal Bank of Scotland Group traces its heritage there back to 1833.
Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co
NatWest's Glossop branch was first opened by Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co in 1833 as a sub-branch to its Ashton-under-Lyne office. During the first decades of the nineteenth century, although still primarily an agricultural community, Glossop had become known for its expanding cotton industry, and was also home to calico printing and paper mills. By 1851 its population had reached 5,467, having doubled since the turn of the century.
Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co was attracted by Glossop’s increasing prosperity. When it opened there on 2 February 1833 it was the town's first bank branch. It initially traded one day a week from a room in a local inn, the Duke of Norfolk Arms. The new branch was an immediate success, and just two months after its opening the bank began to look for a more permanent home. It moved to premises in High Street West in June 1833.
Glossop continued to thrive with the arrival of a branch line of the Manchester & Sheffield Railway in 1845, along with improvements to civic amenities, including the construction of the town hall and market house. The bank’s Glossop office also prospered, opening daily from 1836 and becoming an independent branch by 1873.
Into the twentieth century
Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co continued to expand. By 1900 it had 91 branches and sub-branches, mostly in the north west of England. Among the new offices opened at this time were Hadfield in 1890 and Hollingworth in 1907, both of which were managed from the Glossop office.
The outbreak of the First World War in 1914 brought serious challenges for the bank, including controls on lending and staff shortages as men left to join the armed services. In Glossop, as at many other offices, the bank alleviated its staffing problem by taking on temporary female clerks. At its smaller Hadfield and Hollingworth offices it proved necessary to reduce opening hours, trading only on alternate days.
In 1935 District Bank, as it was then known, merged with County Bank. The merged bank retained the District Bank name. In Glossop it now had two branches, because County Bank had also operated a branch there since 1890, trading from purpose-built premises in Norfolk Square. The business of the two branches was combined in 1938 at the Norfolk Square premises.
In 1962 District Bank was acquired by National Provincial Bank, but the two banks continued to trade independently.