Hale is a town in England. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1908.
Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co
NatWest's Hale branch first opened as a branch of Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co in 1908. Until the middle of the 19th century Hale had been a rural area, but the arrival of the railway in Altrincham in 1849 had prompted a steady increase in building activity. In 1866 Siddeley’s Brewery was established in Peel Causeway (now Ashley Road) to the west of the railway, and in 1876, during a short-lived roller-skating craze, a rink was opened (the building later becoming the Drill Hall). By the 1880s suburban development had started to take hold, and at the turn of the century Hale was a thriving community of around 7,500 inhabitants.
By 1907 Hale’s growth and prosperity had attracted the attention of Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co. It acquired temporary premises at 207 Ashley Road and the branch opened for business on 6 January 1908, as a sub-branch to the bank's existing office in Altrincham. Five years later the business was relocated to new premises at 185 Ashley Road, which the bank had purchased and remodelled for banking use.
After the First World War new roads and houses were constructed to the east of Hale station on both sides of Ashley Road. By this time the bank's name had become District Bank. It was facing increasing competition which made it harder for such a relatively small bank to survive, and in 1935 it merged with the Manchester-based County Bank. The merged bank retained the District Bank name. The following year, the bank elevated its Hale branch to full-branch status, independent of Altrincham.
National Provincial Bank
In 1962 District Bank was acquired by National Provincial Bank. Both banks had a presence in Hale, because National Provincial had opened a branch there in 1956. In 1965 this branch's business was merged into the District Bank branch.
National Westminster Bank
Westminster Bank also had an office in Hale, originally opened by Parr’s Banking Co in 1908. It was located close by at 199 Ashley Road, so in 1972 National Westminster Bank’s two branches in Hale were united under one roof, initially at 185 Ashley Road and then at 199 Ashley Road.