Hereford is a city in England. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1836.
National Provincial Bank of England
NatWest’s first branch in Hereford originally opened as an office of National Provincial Bank of England in 1836. This bank had been founded only three years earlier, but its intention from the outset had been to establish an extensive branch network, and by mid-1835 it already had around 20 branches and was looking for suitable locations for expansion. Hereford was a thriving market town serving a large surrounding district, and by January 1836, National Provincial Bank of England was making arrangements to open a branch there.
The branch was officially opened on 3 February 1836. James Smith was its first manager, on a yearly salary of £300.
By 1863 the branch was trading from 12 Broad Street. Extensive alterations took place in 1892 with, among other improvements, the installation of new mahogany fittings and furniture throughout the premises.
In 1918 National Provincial Bank of England merged with Union of London & Smiths Bank to form one of the emerging ‘big five’ high street banks, known as National Provincial Bank from 1924.
National Westminster Bank
In 1970 National Provincial Bank and its subsidiary District Bank merged with Westminster Bank to form National Westminster Bank. In Hereford, the new NatWest had three branches on Broad Street, because as well as the former National Provincial at number 12, there was a former District Bank (opened July 1956) at number 13, and a former Westminster Bank (opened January 1959) at number 40.
In 1971 the branches at numbers 12 and 13 were merged, and in 1979 the branch at number 40 moved to 55 Commercial Street, where it became a sub-office to Broad Street.