Holywell is a town in Wales. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1839.
National Provincial Bank of England
NatWest’s Holywell branch was originally opened by National Provincial Bank of England in 1839 and within months was making promising progress. This bank had been established in 1833 with the aim of developing a national rather than regional branch network. The bank’s policy was to open branches in England and Wales outside a 65-mile limit around London so that it would be legally permitted to issue its own banknotes, with a purely administrative head office situated in the City of London.
Holywell was a village which had been a site of pilgrimage since about 660, and the 18th century saw the development in the Greenfield Valley of lead mining, cotton milling and copper industries which made use of power provided by the abundant water supply from the mountains above the town. Holywell prospered as a result, and by the 1830s was an ideal place in which to open a bank branch, and National Provincial’s new office opened there in December 1839. Holywell further benefitted from the opening of a station on the edge of the developing town by the Chester and Holyhead Railway in 1848, supplemented in 1912 by a branch line to a station in Holywell itself. In 1886 National Provincial Bank moved to premises at 44 High Street, which were leased from the Dowager Lady Vivian. In the early 20th century the bank also leased neighboring premises at 19-20 Panton Place and a new branch building, with attached accommodation for the branch manager, was constructed on the enlarged site.
National Provincial Bank
During the early decades of the 20th century the banking sector was undergoing a transformation, with smaller banks being forced to grow or merge in order to remain competitive. As a result, in 1918 National Provincial Bank of England merged with Union of London & Smiths Bank to become National Provincial & Union Bank of England, known from 1924 as National Provincial Bank.
In 1921 the bank bought the Holywell branch property from the Vivian family.
National Westminster Bank
In 1970, on completion of the merger between National Provincial Bank and Westminster Bank, Holywell branch began trading as an office of the new National Westminster Bank. Business at Holywell continued to grow and in November 1975 the branch moved into temporary premises at the main car park, off Pen y Ball Street, while the permanent building was completely modernised, moving back into the newly refurbished premises in September 1976.