Huntly is a town in Scotland. The Royal Bank of Scotland traces its heritage there back to 1908.
The Royal Bank of Scotland
The Royal Bank of Scotland’s Huntly branch first opened on 20 July 1908, under the management of JR MacMath. Mr MacMath was also a solicitor and the town clerk, and the branch began trading from his new offices on Duke Street. He was supported in the operation of the new venture by one member of staff.
By the time the branch opened, Huntly was already well established as an important market town serving a large agricultural district. It had historically been a centre of textiles manufacture, but this industry had collapsed in the 19th century, being replaced by an unusually wide range of businesses, from whisky distilling and beer-brewing to the manufacture of agricultural machinery and other equipment. Most importantly, the railway had arrived in Huntly in 1854, improving access to and from the town, and opening up wider markets for the area’s farm produce.
Commercial Bank of Scotland
In 1913 Commercial Bank of Scotland - itself later to become part of the Royal Bank - also opened a branch in Huntly, located in the Square. In 1934 it opened a sub-branch at the Livestock Market.
The post-war years brought a period of bank mergers that reduced the number of banknote-issuing banks in Scotland from 8 in 1950 to just 3 by the 1970s. In 1959 Commercial Bank of Scotland merged with National Bank of Scotland to create National Commercial Bank of Scotland. A decade later, this bank itself merged with The Royal Bank of Scotland.
In Huntly, the newly-expanded Royal Bank of Scotland now had three branches. It soon brought the business of the two full-status branches together under one roof, initially at the Duke Street address and then, from the mid-1970s, in the Square. The business of the Market sub-branch was absorbed into its parent-office in 1990.