Llandeilo is a town in Wales. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1912.
National Provincial Bank
NatWest’s Llandeilo branch first opened as an office of National Provincial Bank of England in 1912. The bank itself had been founded in 1833, with the intention of establishing a branch network throughout England and Wales. This strategy proved successful, and by 1912 National Provincial had over 350 branches.
The bank continued to look for new locations, and in 1912 Mr WH Jones, its manager in nearby Llandovery, wrote to head office suggesting a Llandeilo branch. Llandeilo was a busy market town, home to many potential customers, and the bank was quick to agree.
Llandeilo branch opened at 1 Bank Terrace on 7 October 1912, under the management of John Bowen Davies, formerly accountant at the bank’s Bristol Stokes Croft branch. Before long it moved to 16 Rhosmaen Street, later renumbered as 54 Rhosmaen Street.
In 1918 National Provincial Bank of England merged with Union of London & Smiths Bank to form National Provincial & Union Bank of England. In 1924 its name was shortened to National Provincial Bank.
In the mid 1920s, in order to accommodate the bank’s growing business in Llandeilo, elegant and spacious new premises were constructed on the existing branch site, designed by FCR Palmer, the bank’s in-house architect.