Lochboisdale is a town in Scotland. The Royal Bank of Scotland traces its heritage there back to 1883.
Commercial Bank of Scotland
The Royal Bank of Scotland’s Lochboisdale branch first opened in May 1883 as a branch of Commercial Bank of Scotland, trading from premises at the pier head. In the early 1880s Lochboisdale was enjoying a period of rapid development. The village was already established as an important fishing port and these years witnessed the additions of the steamer pier and the Lochboisdale Hotel.
The branch was immediately successful. At the beginning of the 20th century the office moved to more spacious premises on the hill just off the main road, where it remains today.
By the late 1940s Lochboisdale branch was operating sub offices at Balivanich, Carnan, Creagorry and Eriskay.
In the post-war years a series of amalgamations reduced the number of note-issuing banks in Scotland from eight in 1950 to just three by the 1970s. In 1959 Commercial Bank of Scotland merged with National Bank of Scotland to form National Commercial Bank of Scotland.
In 1962 Lochboisdale became the base for a mobile bank operation, using a van to bring banking services to customers across the Uists.
In 1969 National Commercial Bank of Scotland merged with the Royal Bank of Scotland and Lochboisdale became one of 693 branches in the Royal Bank’s newly-expanded network.
In more recent times life in Lochboisdale has remained focused on agriculture, fishing and its status as a ferry port. The popularity of the Hebrides with tourists from all over the world means that in the summer months the village and the Royal Bank of Scotland branch provide facilities for large numbers of holidaymakers, in addition to its year-round population.