Maidenhead is a town in England. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1863.
London & County Banking Co
NatWest’s Maidenhead branch was originally opened by London & County Banking Co in 1863. This bank had been founded in Southwark nearly thirty years earlier, and by January 1863 had over 120 branches across south east England.
The bank's new Maidenhead branch opened in July 1863. It was originally a sub-office to Wycombe branch, operating two days a week under the management of Mr GB Hannaford. The new branch made such rapid progress that in May 1864 the bank arranged for a local brewer and wine merchant to cash customers' cheques on its behalf on days when the branch was closed. In 1865 the branch began opening daily.
By 1879 the branch had outgrown its existing premises and a new site was acquired at 66 High Street, where new premises opened in 1881. It was at this location - in the Greyhound Inn that formerly stood there - that in 1647 King Charles I met with his younger children for the last time before his execution in 1649. The occasion is still commemorated today by a plaque on the building.
By the early 20th century banks faced increasing competition and sought to merge with other banks to enable them to compete better in a crowded marketplace. In August 1909 London & County Banking Co merged with London & Westminster Bank to form London County & Westminster Bank.
A further round of mergers took place in 1918, and following the acquisition of Parr's Bank in that year, the bank's name became London County Westminster & Parr's Bank. Unsurprisingly, in 1923 this unwieldy name was shortened to Westminster Bank.
During the Second World War all banks faced increased responsibilities at the same time as staff shortages, as skilled bank workers went away to join the forces. One man from Westminster Bank’s Maidenhead branch was killed on active service.
National Westminster Bank
In 1970 Westminster Bank merged with National Provincial Bank to create National Westminster Bank. National Provincial had a branch of its own in Maidenhead, originally opened in 1933 and located very close to the Westminster branch, at 69 High Street. Both branches remained open at first, but in 1978, following extensive renovations to make the premises suitable for the enlarged business, the two branches were brought together under one roof at 66 High Street.