Mold is a town in Wales. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1840.
National Provincial Bank of England
NatWest’s presence in Mold can be traced back to 1840 when National Provincial Bank of England opened a sub-branch there.
In the early 1800s Mold was a small industrial town, built up around local lead and coal mines. It had begun to grow when trade with English border towns such as Chester and Whitchurch developed, and in 1769 had become the administrative centre of Flintshire. Mold became a county borough in 1832 and its County Hall was built soon afterwards. In 1833 the famous Mold gold cape - a Bronze Age sheet-gold ceremonial cape of exceptional craftsmanship - was unearthed.
In the same year National Provincial Bank of England was established, with the aim of developing a national rather than just regional branch network. The bank’s policy was to open branches in England and Wales outside a 65-mile limit around London so that it would be legally permitted to issue its own banknotes, with a purely administrative head office situated in the City of London. Approximately 70 branches and sub-branches had been opened by 1840, including one in Mold.
In December 1839 it had been agreed by the bank’s board to move into Mold ‘as the field is almost unoccupied by any other bank’. There was at that time only one other banking presence in Mold, that of North & South Wales Bank, which in 1839 had also acquired the business of the private local bank Douglas, Smalley & Co which had failed in that year. National Provincial Bank of England’s new Mold office opened in the early months of 1840 as a sub-branch to its Holywell branch, under the management of Mr Charles E Molineux.
The bank’s business in Mold steadily increased, and in 1867 its Mold office became a full branch in its own right. By 1887 the branch had moved into new premises at 48 High Street.
National Provincial Bank
During the First World War banks took on extra responsibilities, such as the sale of war loan subscriptions, and were subject to a raft of new government controls. At this time the banking sector was undergoing a transformation, as smaller banks had to grow or merge in order to remain competitive. Reflecting these developments, in 1918 National Provincial Bank of England merged with Union of London & Smiths Bank to become National Provincial & Union Bank of England, known from 1924 as National Provincial Bank. It was one of the biggest banks in England and Wales.