Prestatyn is a town in Wales. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1913.
National Provincial Bank of England
NatWest's Prestatyn branch was originally opened by National Provincial Bank of England in 1913. This bank had been founded in London in September 1833 with the intention of establishing a nationwide network of branches, and by the end of 1910 it had around 350 branch offices, including over 90 in Wales.
Prestatyn at that time was already an established seaside resort, with a regular population of around 2,000 that was boosted in holiday season by large numbers of holidaymakers. The suggestion that National Provincial Bank should open a branch there first came from Stephen Owen, the Bank’s Inspector of Branches, in October 1912. The directors agreed to his proposal and started looking for suitable branch premises.
They soon found a shop in the High Street that met their requirements, and it was there that Prestatyn branch first opened for business on 17 March 1913, under the management of Mr BB Griffiths. Although initially rented, six years later the bank bought the premises, enabling it subsequently to alter and extend the building.
Two more banks that would eventually become part of NatWest opened branches in Prestatyn. London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank’s Prestatyn branch opened in 1920, followed in 1947 by a branch of District Bank.
In 1962 District Bank was acquired by National Provincial Bank, but both banks continued trading separately, including from their respective branches in Prestatyn.
National Westminster Bank
In 1970 National Provincial Bank and District Bank merged with Westminster Bank to form National Westminster Bank. The new bank now had three branches in Prestatyn – one from each of its founding banks – and before long plans were in place to rationalise this representation. In 1972 the former District and National Provincial branches were brought together under one roof at 57 High Street. In 1984 this branch also took over the business of the former Westminster Bank branch.