Stonehaven is a town in Scotland. The Royal Bank of Scotland traces its heritage there back to 1924.
Commercial Bank of Scotland
The Royal Bank of Scotland’s Stonehaven branch first opened in February 1924 as a branch of Commercial Bank of Scotland. During the 1920s this bank was actively pursuing a policy of branch expansion. The bank’s directors were quick to recognise the financial potential in Stonehaven, and at a meeting in November 1923 agreed to open a branch there, under the charge of local solicitor James B Connon. They also authorised expenditure of £270 on a suitable safe and £300 on furnishing and fitting up an office. The new branch finally opened for business on 4 February 1924 at Connon’s offices in Ann Street.
Despite the decline of some traditional industries, the inter-war period was a time of continuing development in Stonehaven. Commercial Bank’s branch in the town thrived, and in 1930 the bank bought new premises for the branch, at 50 Allardice Street.
The Royal Bank of Scotland
In 1972 Stonehaven branch moved from Allardice Street to 22 Market Square. The premises were altered and extended in 1987.