Timperley is a town in England. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1908.
Manchester & County Bank
NatWest's Timperley branch first opened in 1908 as a sub-branch to Manchester & County Bank's Altrincham office, itself established six years earlier. Timperley at that time was a small town of nearly 3,500 inhabitants with a station served by the Manchester & Altrincham Railway. The new bank branch opened in July 1908 in temporary accommodation, trading on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The following year the branch moved to its present purpose-built premises on Stockport Road.
In 1934 the bank shortened its name to County Bank. The following year it amalgamated with – and began trading under the name of – District Bank.
The post-war years
By the end of the Second World War the population of Timperley had grown to over 7,000 and the branch was opening six days a week. By 1952 it had over 750 customers and a staff of four. Over the next nine years the number of accounts increased by a third and this rapid expansion resulted in it becoming an independently managed branch with an additional member of staff.
National Westminster Bank
In 1962 District Bank was acquired by National Provincial Bank but continued to trade under its own name. Eight years later, National Provincial and District Bank both merged with Westminster Bank to form National Westminster Bank, and Timperley became one of 3,600 branches of the new NatWest.