Welshpool is a town in Wales. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1913.
National Provincial Bank of England
NatWest’s Welshpool branch originally opened as an office of National Provincial Bank of England in 1913. The town’s population at that time was just over 4,000, and its diverse economy and good transport links attracted the attention of the bank’s directors, who were looking for opportunities to open new branches. They agreed in September 1912 that they would like to have an office in Welshpool. They found premises at 23 Severn Street and appointed Mr EL Jones to serve as manager. The branch opened its doors for the first time on 3 January 1913.
Within months the new branch had outgrown its original premises, and in December 1913 it moved to 30 Broad Street.
National Westminster Bank
In 1971 Welshpool branch moved to a temporary building while its existing premises were demolished and rebuilt. It moved back into its permanent home in March 1973.