Wolverhampton is a city in England. NatWest traces its heritage there back to 1836.
Bilston District Banking Company
NatWest's first branch in the Wolverhampton area originally opened as Bilston District Banking Company, established in Bilston, near Wolverhampton, in 1836. This bank opened for business for the first time on 5 September 1836, in temporary premises in a house in Mount Pleasant, Bilston. Its first manager was Samuel Nook, who had gained his experience as cashier of a joint stock bank formed two years earlier in Stourbridge. The new bank was an immediate success and moved to larger, more suitable premises in Church Street, Bilston, in May 1837.
County of Stafford Bank
In 1844 the growing bank moved to Lock Street, Wolverhampton, in order to reduce overheads and further increase its business. The move proved a success and larger premises in Queen Square had been acquired by 1863. Ten years later the bank changed its name to County of Stafford Bank, to reflect the new emphasis of its business and its recent adoption of limited liability status.
National Provincial Bank of England
By the late 1890s the days of small local banks were drawing to a close with the emergence of large London-based banks with national branch networks. In 1899 County of Stafford Bank was acquired by the much bigger National Provincial Bank of England and the business became that bank’s Wolverhampton branch.
Under National Provincial Bank’s ownership the branch flourished and in 1914 its premises were rebuilt on a grand scale to the designs of architects Bromley & Watkins. The branch still occupies this building today.
National Westminster Bank
In 1970 National Provincial Bank and its subsidiary District Bank merged with Westminster Bank to form National Westminster Bank. All three of the merging banks were represented in Wolverhampton, and soon after the merger Queen Square branch took over the business of the former District Bank branch at 52 Lichfield Street (opened 1958) and the former Westminster Bank branch at School Street (opened 1962).
In 1995 the business of Wolverhampton Princes Square branch, originally opened by Westminster Bank in 1930, was also absorbed by Queen Square office.