Yate is a town in England. NatWest traces its presence there back to 1908.
National Provincial Bank of England
NatWest's Yate branch first opened as a branch of National Provincial Bank of England in April 1908. The town's need for banking services was particularly acute when the market was open, and the new branch initially traded only on market days. It was operated by staff from the bank's long-standing Chipping Sodbury branch, who opened up shop one day a week in a single room in a house on Station Road.
A second branch
In 1918 National Provincial merged with Union of London & Smiths Bank to become National Provincial & Union Bank of England. This merger meant that the bank now had two branches in Yate, because Union of London & Smiths had itself opened a branch in the town in 1910. The latter branch came to be known as Yate Market office, and both continued to operate.
The Second World War caused problems with staff shortages and controls on lending and foreign exchange, but during the post-war years the bank’s Yate office continued to grow. In the 1960s Yate was designated a development area and a New Town sprang up, complete with large shopping centre, sports and leisure facilities, numerous public buildings and many new homes. National Provincial responded by opening a much larger office situated at 1 North Parade in the new shopping centre.
National Westminster Bank
In 1970 National Provincial Bank merged with Westminster Bank to form National Westminster Bank. Westminster Bank had itself opened a sub-branch in Yate in 1928, which by the time of the merger was located at 5 North Walk. In 1971 the businesses of the former National Provincial Bank and Westminster Bank branches were combined in the North Walk premises. Eight years later, this office also took over the business of Yate Market sub-office.